Monday, January 9, 2012

I Will Start Writing My Entrepreneur Diary here

I have decided to write about my feelings and what I have been through everyday, maybe every week, here.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself.

I am from Guangzhou China and moved to the States in 2000.   Although it was my choice to move to the U.S., the drastic change of environment has made a huge impact in my life.  I went from one of the best school in my city to a so-called "gatto" school in Houston.  Went from being in the best class to study to being placed in English As a Second Language class and having to proof to my teachers that I have the ability to learn a more advanced course although my English was very much limited.

Since then, I stopped chasing my dreams, being an artist like I always wanted to become.  My parents were jade sculptors and I was immerced in an artistic environment for a long long time.  However, soon after I came here, I realize that having a stable job and have good income in the way to go.  Thus, my dream vanished without any chase.  Although I felt like suffering from all the classes every day in school, my will and desire to learn never haud me from moving ahead.  I was graduated within the top 5% of the entire class and to save on tuition, I chose to stay in Houston.  When I first started college, I studied interior design, but changed to business after I realize UH does not offer an accredited program. 

In the next few years, I studied accounting and obtained a Master in Accountancy degree from UH.  In 2007, I took an internship under PWC, the biggest accounting firm among Big4.  During my internship, I worked until 2 or 3 in the morning and extra hard.  According to my colleagues, the accounting firms will usually offer their interns a full time position upon completion of internship.  With the hope of receivng this offer so that I could afford a better life for my parents, I went to the firm partner's office.  The news was that I was not offerred the position.  I cried and cried and cried.  It hurt and mostly it ruined my dream of becoming independent and being able to take care of my parents with my stable income.  The HR lady told me one thing I still remember "maybe you will be happier somewhere else".   The ugliest truth was I was the only person who did not receive a fulltime offer and I was the Vice President for an accounting honor society.   I found it very ironic.

Of course, I still finished my degree and worked for a local CPA firm for two years.  During that time, I joined Amway hoping it will lead me somewhere.  I am no longer doing it, but I am glad that I did because it made me re-consider my path and gave me training on how to become a better person and better yet, a sales person. 

After working for the local firm for two years, I found accounting was not suitable for me at all.  My boss suggested me to take a personalisys test because she also believes that I might be better in marketing, which I fell that class.  I couldn't believe what she told me but still took the test.  The result was quite surprising: I do possess good marketing personality.  Since then, I researched on what I like to do for my second career.  I found makeup and styling.  Then, I did my training in makeup and started to become a makeup artist.

Then my story has gone wild after my graduation from my makeup school.  I became the fashion editor for Chinese International News, organized three fashion shows, became counter manager of Dior and later promoted to be a freelancer for Dior, Cle De Peau and Shiseido. 

In Aug 2010, I officially START my own MAKEUP SCHOOL partnering with my former instructor.  We are five months down the road in business and we are splitting up.  It was a difficul decision but I've taken out a lot from this experience.

Now, I have decided to take on a challenge that I've never done before.  Want to know what it will be? Stay tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment