Friday, February 10, 2012

2-10-12 Haha, It's a Funny Day

2-10-12, no matter how you read it from left to right or from right to left, it is the same!  Haha, funny day and it's my birthday!  Since last night, I have been receiving birthday wishes!  I feel so loved!  Thank you everyone!!

Well, looking back to my 27th year of my life, it was full of adventures!  I did quite a bit of stuff: organized a fashion show hosted more than 250 people, became counter manager of Dior, switched to freelancer to Dior, Shiseido and Le Metier four months later, started a business and withdrew due to unforseen disagreement over finance management, and branched out to do things on my own!

It has been quite an adventure in terms of career life.  I learnt so so so much from all the things I have done.  In 2011, I still had no direction of where I should go in terms of career.  I just knew that I need to learn more and do more.  Thus, I took lots of volunteer work, i.e. doing fashion show makeup for free and editorial work for free.  I also signed up to be the counter manager for Dior.  It helped me gaining lots of experience, knowledge and speed!  Yes, speed, my speed went from one hour per face to 30 minutes per face!   It is essential for a Makeup Artist.  This is what my instructor, Anita Wu, asked me when she met me for the first time: "How long does it take you to achieve a look?"  For bridal, I will take longer, about 45 minutes to an hour.  When a makeup artist knows exactly where she/he would place the makeup on one's face, it shouldn't take longer than an hour to achieve a look.  It depends on the makeup artist's analysis in color theory, bone structure, face feature on any customer.  And of course, client's preferences as well.  That's why it's extremely important to consult with your client before you put on the makeup. 

On the other hand, I learnt lots of good practice in business from people I met in various fields.  This kind of connection, yet again, is very valuable for me.  And at the same time, evaluate where you are and know if you have achieved your goal is crucial.  In 2011, I didn't have a goal.  I follow the float and let the trend and opportunities drive me because I was HUNGRY to move up.  There are goods and bads with that.  Good thing is that you will get to know lots of people and practices in fashion/makeup industry.  Bad thing is that you will be carried away sometime and do things according to other's agenda, not your agenda.  In 2011, I've done too many things in other people's agenda although I never regret doing it since it opened up my eyes, yet I felt my time was wasted when I reached to a bottle neck.  Sometimes, I would hit my head in the wall for things I've done without thinking.  Thanks to my boyfriend, who HASN'T given up on me yet!  Everytime I reached a bottle neck, he and MY LOVELY MOM always encourage me and help me to hop over the hurdles! 

Kelly is correct!  My 28th year has started with some great things already!  I have won a monthly contest in a renown magazine in China and it's a national magazine!  My work will be published in China!  Yes! How many people are competing over there, the most populated country!  I assisted JaJo Couture for her 2012 look book and it will be printed as well.  I became the contributor of SPIA Magazine and it will be printed as well!  Things have just been getting better and better! 

In 2012, I look into doing more good work with makeup, hair and props!  My goal is to become a well-rounded stylist, not just an MUA.  Haha, quite ambitious!  And also continue to teach and share my knowledge to consumers and aspiring makeup artists! 

Happy Birthday to ME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment