Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Arizona Crazy Bridal (Pre-Wedding) Photo Shoot Part I - Planning and Preparation

Way before Petrus and I decided to get married, I always wanted our pre-wedding bridal photos taken place in a desert.  For some reason, I like the color contrast of the blue sky and golden sand.  Beach is cool and very common, but not my type.

Besides, I got inspired by a girl-friend of mine, who had hers done in Beijing at the Great Wall and a desert (of course, her desert is very different from mine; the color of sand is whiter).  Thus, I told Petrus about this crazy idea and he came up with the Arizona shoot.  He went to school in Arizona a few years ago and visited many of the cool places there.  He is the master mind behind this whole project.  Here are the locations he picked out: Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, and Monument Valley. 

Horseshoe Bend:  A great place to visit, but not so recommend for bridal/engagement shoot

Antelope Canyon: we did have some cool pictures inside the cave, but it is very challenging because of lighting and high traffic

Monument Valley:My absolute favorite for the scenery and the time and lighting we picked out is just right!

Later on, I met my AWESOME photographer, Holly Hoyt and she happily accepted the challenge.  Hence, we started the planning of the photo shoot.  BTW, I highly recommend Holly.  Her style is very natural and LOVE the way she directed the shoot.  I am a very critical person when it comes to photo shoot since I've worked with so many different photographers.  I have to say that I cannot ask for more for my own bridal shoot.  I'll explain to you in a makeup artist's opinion how to find your perfect photographer in a later blog!!!)

As the stylist and bride of the shoot, I have several challenges.
1. the color scheme of the shoot: blue sky, golden/coral tone desert, green succulents.  What color of outfits would go with the above elements?  I thought a natural color, i.e. black, white, grey, would do.  Or, a complementary color, i.e. purple, navy blue, could be fine as well.  

As I was shopping around, I came across with this elegant light grey chiffon evening gown with gold embellishment, which would be perfect to stand out from the background.  I fell in love with it once I put it on and decided to bring it with me to the shoot, Yay!!!!

     On the other end, Petrus and I went through his closet and found a light grey suit, a pair of dark jeans, and borrowed a casual dark grey blazer and a pink shirt from his brother. 

2. I also found this beautiful ivory wedding gown for a bargain of price.  (haha, I kinda show you my third style of the shoot, which is also a bonus)
Another bonus item: I D.I.Y. the bouquet with white/yellow flowers and a touch of green from the succulents.

3. With the two dresses, what are the accessories should be incorporated into the shoot?
    a. What kind of accessories can go with it?  
So I prepare a DIY hair piece(bottom right), a simple rhinestone head band(bottom left), and a beautiful flower piece with lace and crystals(top).  A bonus accessory is a cathedral length ivory veil. 

    b. My hair is only in shoulder length.  What hair-updo would look good in the shoot and easy for me to style?  To incorporate the hair pieces that I prepared, I decided to start with wavy hair do, then a messy bun and finally a more formal up-do.  

     c. On the other hand, I was asked this question many times: "Are you doing your own makeup?"  Yes, for the Arizona photoshoot, Yes.  On my big day, I will have help from a really good friend and artist!!!

Now, we have all the elements ready for the shoot and Flagstaff, here we come!!!!!

More sneak peaks will be uploaded soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment